ThermoAnalytics, Inc., a leading provider of thermal and infrared simulation software and services, seeks a highly motivated and technically driven Research Engineer/Scientist to join our research team in Calumet, Michigan. This position has a flexible start date between March – June of 2019. If you have a strong interest in solving heat transfer-related engineering problems, we want to hear from you!
Responsibilities of the Research Engineer/Scientist.
- Apply first principle physics to complex engineering problems and develop advanced numerical algorithms.
- Provide specialized technical knowledge as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in one or more subject area(s) critical to business needs (see technical areas below); provide SME guidance to staff as required
- Write proposals (devising/communicating technical approaches, defining/estimating size & scope of work.)
- Schedule, organize and report on status of research activities.
- Plan and modify research techniques, procedures, tests, or software tools.
- Interpret and analyze data as needed for research and engineering efforts.
- Create/present technical materials for external customers, publication, presentation, at conferences, etc.
- Assist software development team w/defining software requirements, acceptance tests, validation tests.
Compensation/Benefits. $85,000 – $125,000 annually, based on knowledge and experience, in addition to an extremely rich benefit package and employee stock ownership. To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicants must be United States citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States. Final candidates may be required to undergo a thorough background check, credit check and/or drug screen.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience of the Research Engineer/Scientist.
- Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace or Chemical Engineering, Physics, Math, Computer Science (or equivalent math/scientific field of study); Masters or PhD preferred.
- Direct experience in one or more of these technical areas:
- Heat Transfer (radiation, convection, conduction) and Thermal Analysis
- Numerical Methods
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) methodologies
- Battery modeling and testing
- Human Physiology and Human Thermal Comfort (modeling and testing)
- HVAC, humidity and moisture (modeling and testing)
- Electro-Optic Sensor Modeling
- Ability to problem solve technical and methodological issues using sound research techniques, methodology and logical critical analysis.
- Ability to work independently and accurately with minimal supervision.
- Experience designing, implementing, debugging, testing computer code (Matlab, C++, Python, etc.)
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work with small teams in an agile software development environment.
- Willingness to travel domestically/internationally when required (2-4 times/year)
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience of the Research Engineer/Scientist.
- Strong project management skills and experience.
- Proposal or grant writing experience.
- Experience working with software development teams.
- Modeling and simulation background (e.g., meshing, physics-based modeling and simulation).
- Experimentation and data analysis experience
INTERESTED? Apply online below.
No phone calls, emails or walk-ins please.